Low Carbon Retrofit Project
What is the Low Carbon Retrofit Project?
A real estate initiative designed to kickstart Greater Sudbury’s green building engine, our Low Carbon Retrofit Project is about leading by example.
We want to take an existing office space in Downtown Sudbury and retrofit it to be a net-zero energy building.
Our mission? Create a space for sustainability champions to gather, share, and develop ideas that will move northern Ontario into a low carbon future.
Non-profit organizations and engaged citizens are leading the way to a more sustainable northern Ontario. They need an affordable and accessible space to gather and host events.
In the summer of 2020, we received funding through Community Foundations of Canada and the Investment Readiness Program to do a feasibility study to determine what it would take to retrofit a space and what the most profitable use of the space would be.
Our feasibility study is currently underway and scheduled to be completed by April 2021.
Project Core Values
- Environmental Sustainability – By retrofitting an existing building and aiming for the highest and most appropriate environmental standard possible, we will reduce our carbon footprint and contribute to Sudbury’s achievement of the efficient building goals outlined in the City’s Community Energy and Emissions Plan (CEEP).
- Creative Collaboration – By working with an integrated design and business team, we will develop new approaches to meeting the needs and aspirations of our organization and the local green community.
- Knowledge Sharing – By documenting our process, engaging with community members, and sharing our experience with organizations throughout northern Ontario, we will increase local awareness of low carbon buildings.
- Local Skills Development – By engaging with our community through knowledge sharing and collaboration, we will contribute to the local knowledge base, skills development, and the unique culture of northern innovation.
- Leading by example – By taking on this project, we will demonstrate commitment to our organizational values and credibility for when we encourage others to undertake similar initiatives.
Interested in getting involved?
We are looking for:
- Property owners interested in retrofitting their space
- Material donations
If interested email Laura Fylyshtan our Green Building Research Coordinator:
Join our mailing list!
Map of green buildings in northern Ontario
Know of a green building in northern Ontario? Send us a note and we will add it to the map!